Sunday, September 13, 2009

Celeriac and Pear Soup

This recipe took my fancy while browsing through Country Homes and Interiors magazine the other day. I am always looking for celeriac ideas, and local pears are plentiful right now, so I made it for lunch today. It was so delicious that I thought I would pass it on. It is actually very similar to a Celeriac and Apple soup that i have made, but i think I preferred this. We had it along with a homemade cheese and herb scone. Sorry the picture is blurry - I just can't find good food stylist when I need one :)

25g Unsalted butter
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 medium celeriac (celery root) peeled and cut into small chunks
1 litre vegetable stock (I used marigold bouillon)
4 ripe juicy pears (mine were a bit hard)
a few leaves lovage, flat-leaved parsley, celery or celeriac leaves shredded, as a garnish (oops forgot to shred)
Salt and pepper


Melt butter and fry onion until soft
Add celeriac and stock - bring to a gentle simmer
Cover and cook gently until celeriac is soft (20 - 30 minutes)
Blend until smooth
Reheat gently and scatter with shredded (or not) herbs.

Very easy, very tasty.

1 comment:

sunnymama said...

It does look delicious! :)