Saturday, August 15, 2009

Shadow Shot Sunday - Jupiter Artland


This week's shadow shots were taken during our day out at the magnificent Jupiter Artland
sculpture park. The previous two posts also feature works from this amazing collection. (Can you tell I liked it?)

These pieces are part of the series Weeping Girls amongst trees, by Laura Ford.

Just walking through the shady woodland, we happen upon five statues of little girls weeping. Quite a surreal experience and a wee bit disturbing; a real contrast to the other exhibits we had seen up until then. Great shadows though. I also liked the way the sunlight played on the tree above echoing the menacing ambiance.

If you scroll down to the previous post, you will see more of this work - Firmamanet, by Anthony Gormley. After looking upwards for those shots, I then looked down, and it was just as wonderful in shadow form. Sadly, the sun was only out for a minute, but it was enough.
The world is full of great shadows. See them at Shadow Shot Sunday on Hey Harriet.

22 comments:

Catherine said...

Art and sculpture always seem to create great shadows...nice work and I agree those weeping girls are certainly a wee bit on the sinister side!!

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

Wow I've never heard of this place before - I must let my friends in mid-Scotland know about this.

Hot Fudge said...

I love these shadows, although I agree that it must have been a little disturbing coming across them in a woodland.

SandyCarlson said...

What a wonderful experience. Must be really something to find these things.

Tom Hilton said...

Beautiful and unsettling--great shots.

Sylvia K said...

I agree with the others -- the shadows are lovely particularly the last one, but the little girls weeping in the woods is unsettling and sad! Great shots regardless!

Enjoy your day, Jacqui

Sylvia

Gemma Wiseman said...

There is a heavy sense of darkness in this cloak of shadow! A beautiful complement to these particular weeping statues!

EG CameraGirl said...

Great shadows but I must agree that the weeping girls make me feel sad. I guess most great art evokes deep feelings, doesn't it?

A Wild Thing said...

A shame to be weeping in such a beautiful place, yet the surreal vision of the girls is inviting, a sort of hide and seek game in the shadows...very cool shot and lucky to catch the sun!

Have a great(sunny)weekend!

Beverley Baird said...

What unusual scuptures. Great shadows though!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Beautiful sculptures and shadows...does make you wonder why they are weeping.
Karla & Karrie

Loran said...

They must be the lost children of fairy tales or changelings? How unusual.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what lovely sculptures. I never knew about this place, though i know the Jupiter Wildlife Centre, which is somewhere else entirely....

MonikaRose said...

Love your last shot, so magical and memorizing to me, love your opening photo, really beautiful the colors and the reflection of the sky in the water, have a fab day :) cya MOnikaROse

Chubby Chieque said...

This is so cool shots, Lady! I thought the girl is for real jst for a quick look without thinking.

Hope you had a wonderful time.

xoxo lots!

Wyld Jane.. said...

what an amazing place x

Sandrine said...

Your last shadows is almost like lace of shadow just beautiful!Hope you get more sun for more shadows;)

CJ said...

Wow! This place looks so interesting. Great shots.

See my Shadow Shot for this week HERE.

Hey Harriet said...

Those statues are very impresssive. As haunting as they are, they are very beautiful. I imagine it was a wonderful experience to see them. Wish I could visit! I really like the last one too. It's a fun one :)

Darcel said...

How Awesome! I love these

Emma said...

Wow - your last few posts are really making me want to come and visit! Some breathtaking pics...
btw I left you an award over on my blog :)

sunnymama said...

Wow! It must have been surreal to come across the weeping girls' statues in the woods, and the last shadow is so cool!