Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Unconditional

My wonderful word of the week is UNCONDITIONAL. I like this word; it is somehow very complete. Since reading Alfie Kohn's Unconditional Parenting, I have tried to mother in this way - not always successfully, but I give it my best effort.
One of the lectures given by Mr Kohn is called The costs of overemphasizing achievement. Well, with apologies to the man himself, I am about to emphasise a wonderful achievement.
Today the Scottish Higher results were announced. My 18 year old son, Kenneth, achieved 4B s!!!!
Chemistry, Maths, Physics and History.
He also received an UNCONDITIONAL offer of a place at Heriot-Watt University (his first choice) to do a BSc (Hons) in Chemistry - with a year in Australia!!!!
We are just so happy - this was no small achievement. Kenneth has severe dyslexia and has overcome many difficulties to make this happen. Although he has had support, in the end it was all down to him - intrinsically motivated to prove to himself and the world that he could.
Unconditional - love it - live it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done to Kenny, you must be extremely proud. Here's to the beginning of an exciting few years for him (and you!). Hugs to you too xx

sunnymama said...

I really enjoyed Unconditional Parenting and would love to read more of Alfie Kohn's books. A huge congratulations to Kenny for his great results and unconditional offer! That's fantastic :)